Monday, February 16, 2009

Some random thoughts

Hello, hello! Don’t get too excited…this post doesn’t contain a cool travel story or anything. I’ve gotten pretty used to getting around Brisbane. The buses go everywhere, and everything is discounted since I am a student. I rode the Citycat (ferry) into the city the other night and was floored at how cool the city looked, especially from the water. It made me wish that I could take the ferry to school at home. The people here are really nice too. I accidently left my wallet on my mailbox, and somebody personally returned it to me later that day, which was a huge relief for me. I have found that signing up for classes is a huge pain here, and the biology department is less helpful than the advisors at UCSD (who are painfully unhelpful). I don’t start school until March 2nd, so I still have time to put my timetable together. I visited a church service the other night and had a pretty interesting experience. I really liked it until the preacher started prophesying/praying over people then bashing them in the head as he healed them of unknown problems. Let’s just say I’m still looking for a church to attend. I got the opportunity to run around the campus yesterday, and I was really excited by everything I saw. The campus has multiple lakes and garden areas that are just beautiful right now because of all the rain. There is a tennis center on campus that has both hard courts and grass courts, which I have never played on before. Thankfully, Kate is also a tennis player, so I’ll be able to try out grass court tennis while I am here. The buildings at the Uni are very interesting. The bricks are made out of sandstone, and every brick contains different colors and shapes. When they are put all together, it creates an attention-grabbing affect that is really fun to look at. I’ll post some pictures up later so that you guys can all see. So far, I am having a really great time. However, wildlife problem of the day: I got chased around my kitchen by a bright red dragonfly…kind of scary. On the other hand, Kate and I noted my one week anniversary of being in Brisbane which made me feel pretty accomplished. I’m leaving for the Sunshine Coast and Noosa on Wednesday with some California girls, so I’ll write more once I’m back. Miss you guys!
-Erin

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm, quite the intriguing church experience. I think I'm glad you are going to continue looking :)

    Sounds like you are having a great experience so far; I really wish I could come visit. Ah, well, someday!

    ReplyDelete